Columbia Skyline

File A Complaint

File a fair housing complaint

How To Report a Violation

Federal, State and Local laws prohibit housing discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability.  In addition to these protected categories, Local law also prohibits housing discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and marital status.  If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your civil rights have been violated, then you can file a fair housing complaint with a Federal, State or Local agency by clicking below.  It is your option where you choose to file the complaint and you may file it with multiple agencies.  If you have questions about filing a complaint, then you can contact the City’s fair housing counsellor at (573) 817-5024. Once your complaint is filed, it will be reviewed by a fair housing specialist to determine if it alleges acts might violate Fair Housing laws.  The specialist will contact you for any additional information needed to complete this review.


File a complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development 

File a complaint with the Missouri Human Rights Commission

File a complaint with the Columbia Human Rights Commission