Questions to ask yourself...
- What is the rent?
- How many bedrooms? Who owns the property? Where is it?
- When is it available?
- How flexible is the move-in date?
- How long has the building been on the market?
- Who are the other tenants in the area?
- Have there been any crimes/fires in the area lately?
- Are there laundry facilities in the apartment or around the area?
- How big are the bedrooms? How many rooms total? How many closets?
- Is there additional storage space?
- Is there carpeting? A dishwasher? Cable and/ or internet hook-up?
- Is the apartment furnished? If so, does this include all the rooms? Does the unit contain lead paint?
- Who handles maintenance problems? Is there 24 hour emergency service?
- Does the landlord or maintenance person live on the premises?
- What is the process to get something repaired/replaced?
- Is a lease required?
- If so, is it long-term or month-to-month? What move-in cost is required?
- First month’s rent
- Last month’s rent
- Security deposit
- Is a credit check required? Is a co-signer required?
- Can the landlord accept a foreign co-signer?
- What utilities are included with the rent?
- What is the average cost for the utilities the tenants have to pay? Is subletting allowed?
- Are pets allowed?
- How close is public transit?
- Is parking available? How much is it? What is the commute to school/work like?
Information Provided By: University of Missouri Off-Campus Student Services